Regulatory - Bylaws, Applications & Guides

Planning and Development Services provides a broad range of regulatory services some of which are required by Provincial law.

BylawApplications / Guides

The Official Community Plan (OCP)

  • Guides the orderly and efficient phasing of land uses, servicing and public/private investments.
  • Development Permit Area Guidelines:
    • ‘Form and character’ design of  multi-family, commercial and industrial buildings
    • Environmental protection (riparian, environmentally sensitive, hillside, and wildfire interface areas)
    • Agricultural interface areas

OCP Map (Schedule A)

  • Outlines future desired patterns of land uses.
  • Meadowlark Area Plan outlined in OCP. 

Zoning Bylaw

  • Specifies allowable uses by zone as well regulating densities, setbacks, and height and size of structures.
  • Off-street parking and loading regulations
  • Home occupation regulations. 

Zoning Map (Schedule A)

  • Implements the OCP Map

Land Use Procedures Bylaw

  • Defines procedures (and fees) for applying to amend the Official Community Plan or Zoning Bylaw, or for obtaining a Density Bonus.
  • Defines Procedures (and fees) to apply for a Council approved Development Permit, Development Variance Permit, Phased Development Agreement, or to the Subdivision Approving Officer for a Subdivision.

Agricultural Land Reserve Exclusion Applications

  • An exclusion application must first be submitted to the local government prior to being forwarded to the Agricultural Land Commission.
  • An Area Plan must be submitted in conjunction with an ALR Exclusion application (refer to OCP Chapter 5 Town Growth Strategy’s Section 5-10)
  • For further information visit the Agricultural Land Commission’s website by clicking here

Board of Variance Bylaw
Amongst other things the Board of Variance may approve orders

  • Respecting the siting, size and dimensions of a building or structures, or the sitting of a manufactured home.
  • Allowing the structural alteration or addition to a non-conforming building.
  • Setting aside a building inspectors’ determination that a non-conforming building is fire damaged by more than 75% of its assessed value and therefore cannot be rebuilt.

Subdivision and Development Servicing Bylaw

  • Outlines the standards for providing services such as roads, sewer, water and storm systems
Street Naming and Building Numbering Bylaw 

Development Cost Charges Bylaw

  • Development Cost Charges (DCCs’) are applicable on developments to reflect the additional demands they places for roads, sewage, water, and storm drainage infrastructure, as well as for parkland acquisition and improvement.
Soil Removal and Deposit Bylaw
Sewer and Water Connection Bylaw

Building Code Administration Bylaw
The Province of BC adopted the BC Building Code to govern minimum standards of construction, alteration, repair, and demolition of buildings, but the Town enforces the Code.  Among other things this bylaw:

  • Clearly defines the roles and responsibilities of the owners, their registered professionals and the building official,
  • Clearly addresses requirements for constructing retaining walls and storm water control on private property,
  • Explains requirements and fees for swimming pools.
  • Outlines the fees for permits such as building and plumbing, fire suppression systems, temporary buildings, building moves, demolitions, wood burning appliance, and other fees and security deposits.

Business Licence Bylaw

  • Requires an operator of a business to hold a business licence and sets the licence fees
  • Outlines the conditions under which street vendors may operate

Inter-Community Business Licence Bylaw

  • An additional licence which allows a service business to operate in the Okanagan Similkameen municipalities from Princeton to Osoyoos north to Salmon Arm and Sicamous.

Sign Bylaw

  • Regulates safe sign placement, construction and maintenance and avoids excessive visual competition between signs.
  • Promotes the Town’s aesthetic attractiveness as a resort community