On August 15, 2023 Council moved that Building Code Administration Amendment Bylaw No. 1251.02, 2023 be adpoted.
Report to Council July 25, 2023
BC Building Code Changes Effective May 1, 2023
Please apply for Building Permits from the Planning and Development Services Department. Depending on the complexity of the application, initial plan check takes approximately three weeks for a single family dwelling and longer for commercial, industrial and multi-family buildings. Application fee's must be paid when Building Permit Application is submitted. The Town of Osoyoos accepts Cash, Cheque, Debit, or Credit Card as payment. Only complete applications will be accepted for processing.
Building Permits are required for (but not limited to):
- the design and construction of a new building
- the change in occupancy of any building
- an alteration of any building, structural or non-structural
- an addition to any building
- the demolition of any building
- the reconstruction of any building that has been damaged
- the correction of an unsafe condition in or about any building
- all parts of any building affected by a change in occupancy
- the alteration, rehabilitation and change of occupancy of heritage buildings
- construction of all accessory buildings 10 m2 (108 square feet) and larger
- placement of buildings and structures
- construction of retaining walls greater than 1.2 m in height
- construction of swimming pools
- installation of building canopies, marquees and awnings
- installation of solid fuel burning appliances
- installation of extinguishing equipment over cooking appliances
- installation of canopies over cooking appliances
Permit fees vary according to the cost of development.
After a building permit is issued several site inspections are required (footings, forms, drain tile & damp proofing, plumbing, slab & poly, framing & sheathing, and insulation) prior to final approval and the issuance of an occupancy permit. Approved Plans are required on-site for all inspections. Civic address must be posted.
Every owner shall give at least twenty-four (24) hours notice to staff when requesting an inspection. Building Official's acceptance of the above noted work is required prior to concealing it. When a Registered Professional provides letters of assurance on a project, field reviews shall be on-site for the Building Official at time of inspection.
For inspections or further information please contact the following:
Planning and Development Services
Box 3010, 8711 Main Street
Osoyoos BC V0H 1V0
Home Warranty Insurance
According to the Homeowner Protection Act and regulations, new homes built in B.C. by licensed residential builders must be covered by mandatory, third-party home warranty insurance. Owner Builders are exempt in certain circumstances.
For more information or to obtain a license application contact:
Suite 203-4555 Kingsway Burnaby, BC V5H 4T8 (TF )1.800.407.7757 (F) 1.604.646.7051 Website