Effective July 20, 2015 the Town of Osoyoos is now charging a $50 Application Fee for all Building Permit applications in accordance with Town of Osoyoos Building Code Administration Bylaw No. 1251, 2009. This fee must be paid when Building Permit Application is submitted. The Town of Osoyoos accepts Cash, Cheque or Debit as payment.
Please apply for Building Permits from the Planning and Development Services Department. Depending on the complexity of the application, initial plan check takes approximately two weeks for a single family dwelling and four weeks for commercial, industrial and multi-family buildings.
Building Permits are required for:
- the design and construction of a new building
- the change in occupancy of any building
- an alteration of any building, structural or non-structural
- an addition to any building
- the demolition of any building
- the reconstruction of any building that has been damaged
- the correction of an unsafe condition in or about any building
- all parts of any building affected by a change in occupancy
- the alteration, rehabilitation and change of occupancy of heritage buildings
- construction of all accessory buildings 10 m2 (108 square feet) and larger
- placement of buildings and structures
- construction of retaining walls greater than 1.2 m in height
- construction of swimming pools
- installation of building canopies, marquees and awnings
- installation of solid fuel burning appliances
- installation of extinguishing equipment over cooking appliances
- installation of canopies over cooking appliances
Permit fees vary according to the cost of development.
After a building permit is issued several site inspections are required (footings, forms, drain tile & damp proofing, plumbing, slab & poly, framing & sheathing, and insulation) prior to final approval and the issuance of an occupancy permit. Approved Plans are required on-site for all inspections. Civic address must be posted.
Every owner shall give at least twenty-four (24) hours notice to staff when requesting an inspection. Building Official's acceptance of the above noted work is required prior to concealing it. When a Registered Professional provides letters of assurance on a project, field reviews shall be on-site for the Building Official at time of inspection.
For inspections or further information please contact the following:
Town of Osoyoos
Box 3010, 8711 Main Street
Osoyoos BC V0H 1V0
Homeowner Protection Office
Residential Builder licensing and mandatory third party home warranties are required for new building permit applications. Owner builders are exempt in certain circumstances.
For more information or to obtain a license application contact:
Home Protection Office Box 11132 Royal Centre, Suite 2270 1055 W Georgia St, Vancouver BC V6E 3P3 (TF )1.800.407.7757 (F) 1.604.646.7051 Website