You are hereHome › Council Meeting Highlights for March 20, 2017
Canada's warmest welcome ®* September 17 2021
Council Meeting Highlights for March 20, 2017
2021 Terry Fox Virtual Run Sunday, September 19
2021 Council and Committee Meeting Schedule
OFFICE CLOSED (2021)
Notice Special Open Meeting
Art Gallery Summer Artisan Market June 24 through September 6
Art Gallery Opening The Beauty of Creation September 9
Road Closure Notification - 89th Street
Council Meeting Highlights for March 20, 2017
- Executive Director and the Curator of the Osoyoos Museum Kara Burton, and President, Matt Hassen provided an Osoyoos Museum Society Annual Update. This update provided information regarding the location move in early 2020 and what their vision will be with the building. They are hoping the new museum will be open by Spring/Summer 2020.
- Presentation by Dan Parker and residents of Pinehurst regarding the Unsightly lot they look at and what can be done. Mayor McKortoff advised that council will look into this matter.
- Kelley Glazer, Executive Director for Destination Osoyoos made a presentation about moving Destination Osoyoos to the Visitor Centre in 2018.
- Jim Cleghorn, Treasurer of the Mental Wellness Centre made a presentation regarding the South Okanagan Similkameen Mental Wellness Society. He explained 1 in 5 people will suffer from mental illness, 8% of adults will suffer from depression and 1% will suffer from bipolar. He stated that the Martin House is for teens over 16 but if someone who was under 16 came to the centre they would ensure that they received help. Mr. Cleghorn stated they are having a hard time recruiting volunteers.
REGULAR OPEN MEETING
- Hart Buckendahl and residents for the East Bench made a presentation regarding the possible Boundary Expansion. They advised they have 66 signatures of property owners from the area who want to join the Town of Osoyoos and are aware of another potential 6. They are willing to do whatever takes to make this happen.
- Town of Osoyoos Municipal Rural District Tax Bylaw No. 1327, 2017 was adopted. The MRDT is an up to three percent tax applied to sales of short-term accommodation provided in participating areas of British Columbia on behalf of municipalities, regional districts and eligible entities.
- Council approved the request to enter into a service agreement with the Regional District of Okanagan Similkameen (RDOS) for providing water to the Roberts Point subdivision.
- Water Distribution System Extension and Looping Lakeshore Drive at 56th Avenue to Hwy No.3 at 53 Street and extension of the reclaimed water irrigation system to the Osoyoos Secondary School. This item was brought back by Mayor McKortoff for reconsideration of the resolution passed at the March 6th 2017 meeting in accordance with Section 131 of the Community Charter. Council awarded the contract for Lakeshore Drive Water Main; Highway No. 3 to 56 Avenue to Mike Johnson Excavation Ltd in the amount of $318,018.75.
- Council approved the expenditure of Resort Municipality Initiative (RMI) funds Phases 3 – 5 Canal Trail paving from 100 Avenue to distance that can be funded with the budgeted amount to enable trail loop completion.
- South Okanagan Transit – BC Transit Operating Agreements – Council approved that notice be given to BC Transit that the Town of Osoyoos wishes to assign to the Regional District of Okanagan Similkameen (RDOS) their rights and responsibilities of the agreements related to the service provision of the South Okanagan Transit System including the Transit Service Agreement. This assignment is requested to be effective upon execution by the RDOS of the appropriate new agreement(s) with BC Transit.
- Final Parks and Trails Master Plan (PF15-02) – Council received and endorsed the Osoyoos Parks and Trails Master Plan.
- Councillor King attended Destination Osoyoos (DO) Economic Development Committee new initiatives – new website for Economic Development that has two different portals: Relocation and Business. Staff from DO will be meeting with South Okanagan Film commission to find out needs and wants.
- Councillor Rhodes congratulated the Osoyoos Coyotes for their success. Thanked them for acting as Ambassadors for our community and the work they do for the community.
- Councillor Rhodes reminded pet owners to take care of their pets and pick up after them.
- Councillor Campol said it was great to see Sun Bowl Arena packed with hockey tournaments and Coyotes games.
- Mayor McKortoff attended the Regional District Meetings.
- Mayor McKortoff attended the Okanagan Basin Water Board Meetings.
- Mayor McKortoff had a teleconference with the Osoyoos Lake Water Control Board.
- Mayor McKortoff attended the 43rd opening ceremonies for the Atom Fiesta.
- Mayor McKortoff congratulated the Osoyoos Drama Club for their performance of Beauty and the Beast.
- Mayor McKortoff encouraged people to attend the Public Hearing at the Sonora Centre at 4:30pm on March 20, 2017
Copies of reports are available within the Council Agenda packages located on the Town’s website www.osoyoos.ca.
The public is encouraged to attend the Committee of the Whole meetings which take place in Council Chambers at 9:00 AM on the morning of the Regular Open Council meetings at 2:00 PM to learn additional in-depth information regarding upcoming business.
- About Osoyoos
- Animal Control & Licensing
- Anti-Idling Taking Action
- Boat Launch & Marina
- Boat Trailer & RV Parking
- Community Groups
- Events Calendar
- Memorial Benches
- Osprey Nest Live WebCam
- Parks & Recreation Facilities
- Plan an Event
- Recreation Programs
- Resort Municipality Initiative
- South Okanagan General Hospital (SOGH)
- Visiting Osoyoos
- Web Links
- Inkaneep Creek Wildfire
- Main Street (Highway 3) Concept Planning
- Agendas, Minutes & Videos
- Annual Report
- Approaching Council
- Business Plan
- Capital and Operating Budgets
- Climate Action Recognition Program
- Committee of the Whole
- Council Members
- Financial Statements
- Mayor's Message
- Professional Reports and Studies
- Regular Council Meeting
- Role of Member of Council
- Public Hearings
- Ambulance & Police
- Bylaw Enforcement
- Chief Administrative Officer
- Community Services (Recreation)
- Corporate Services
- Curbside Garbage & Recycling
- Customer Service Feedback
- Emergency Preparedness
- Fire Department
- Near-Market Housing Meadowlark Place
- Operational Services (Public Works)
- Planning & Development Services
- Property Taxes
- Recreation Programs
- Rural District Water Systems 8 & 9
- RV Sani-Dump Station Information
- I Want To...
- Business Licences/Permits
- Apply for a Community Grant
- Apply for Employment Opportunity
- Book Ice Time
- Contact Us
- Find a Bylaw
- Find Dog Parks
- Find Out Landfill Hours
- Know Where to Rent/Purchase Carts for Residential Waste
- Pay by Credit Card
- Pay Property Taxes
- Report a Street Light Out
- Submit an Event
- Submit a Request - Osoyoos Listens
- View Current Water Restrictions
- View Maps
- View Osoyoos Lake Levels
- View Public Skating Schedule
- View the LIVE Osprey Nest Webcam
- Subscribe to eNews