You are hereHome › Council Highlights for November 20 2017
Canada's warmest welcome ®* May 20 2019
Council Highlights for November 20 2017
Annual General Meeting on June 17, 2019
18th Annual Volunteer Appreciation Awards and Breakfast on April 6
Spirit of Osoyoos Community BBQ Fundraiser on May 3
OFFICE CLOSED (2019)
OSOYOOS MUSEUM FREE ADMISSION DAYS
Osoyoos Museum - Annual Christmas Open House
Osoyoos Museum Society Annual General Meeting
Osoyoos Museum - The Great Day of Adventure
2019 Soroptimist Spring Fashion Show
25th Annual Easter Eggstravaganza April 20, 2019
SOAP Theatre presents Lawrence & Holloman
The Art Gallery 'Trifocal Perspectives'
NOON OFFICE CLOSURE at Town Hall on April 11, 2019
Volunteers Needed for Pitch-In Week on April 27
Osoyoos Rural Fire Protection District Annual Meeting April 25
Day of Mourning on Sunday, April 28
Hike for Hospice on May 5 - Oliver
Osoyoos Lake Water Quality Society 2019 AGM on May 8
Art Gallery Opening Reception for Authenticity on May 2
Naloxone Training at Sonora Community Centre on May 6
2019 Music in the Park
Meadowlark Festival May 16-20
2019 Cactus Jalopies 15th Annual Desert Wine Tour
Parks Canada Public Information Session May 15, 2019
2019 Shred It and Forget It Event on May 25
71th Annual Cherry Fiesta July 1, 2019
2019 Osoyoos Market on Main
2019 Business Promoting Business Networking Night May 15
Osoyoos Lawn Bowling Club Free Intro Lessons
Osoyoos Lawn Bowling Club Public Drop-In
Council Highlights for November 20 2017
- 2018 Plan and Budget for Destination Osoyoos was presented by Kelley Glazer, Executive Director. Ms Glazer’s presentation was on the 2018 Marketing Plan and the 2018 Economic Development Tactical Plan & Budget. Destination Osoyoos is in their new location and are open for business.
- RCMP Quarterly Report – Sgt. Bayda, RCMP, introduced two new members to the detachment Cst. Brent Greenfield and Cpl. Dave Smith. Sgt. Bayda stated the crime statistics are not very different from other communities. The RCMP have arrested several prolific offenders who have had crime sprees in the South Okanagan. Sgt. Bayda advised that the RCMP could not bring in as many members for the extra summer patrols this year, due to the fires as detachments across the province were expected to provide members to help out with the state of emergency.
- Chris Bromage inquired about the Town’s tender process and questioned why local businesses are not approached. Mr. Bromage is unsure what the criteria on deciding on specific projects.
- 2018 Committee Appointments – Each year Mayor and Council appoints representatives to Special and Standing Committees. Staff was looking for direction as to the continuation of committees and the appointments.
- Councillor Campol gave a verbal report on the accessibility meeting he had with Councillor Rhodes and Mike Stiles. Council directed staff to bring back a report on a committee including a representative from Council, Destination Osoyoos and members of the public for accessibility.
REGULAR OPEN MEETING
- Councillor King and Councillor Rhodes presented cheques to Vic Brown from the Seniors Slow Pitch and Sue Whittaker from the Osoyoos Arts Council.
- Council will consider North Gyro Park as a potential location for the establishment of an inflatable waterpark and requests that Okanagan Wibit present its proposal at public open house.
- Council approved the Project Option #B (Existing Ball Diamond with Dog Park Development on BMX area: $150,200) being placed into the budget discussions.
- Council approved the Terms of Reference for the West Bench Dog Park Committee.
- Council appointed Councillor Rhodes to the West Bench Dog Park Committee.
- Council supported the proposal to become certified as an Age Friendly Community and to provide overall grant management for this project through the UBCM grant opportunity.
- Council approved the Acting Mayor Schedule for 2017-2018.
- Council approved the 2018 Regular Council meeting schedule with the January 2nd and August 7th Regular Council meetings being cancelled.
- Council appointed Mayor McKortoff to the Regional District of Similkameen Board with Councillor Rhodes as her alternate.
- Council appointed Councillor Youngberg to the Regional Library Board with Councillor Campol as her alternate.
- Council awarded the contract for the 2017 Canal Pathway Lighting Installation to Balogh Electric Ltd for $29,103.33 (taxes and contingency sum included)
- Council awarded the RFP for the new “Welcome Signs” to Landmark Signs for $146,276.00 (plus taxes) from the Resort Municipal Initiative funds.
- Council agreed to be a participant in a community lead process to address homelessness in Osoyoos.
- Council approved the Town submitting a joint application with the Town of Oiver, for the Community Emergency Preparedness Fund for Emergency Social Services for up to $25,000.
- Council directed staff to go back to the Music in the Park organizers and try to seek out options for consideration to help them move the Piano in the Park.
- Council approved partnering with the Osoyoos Golf Club to make a grant application to the Rural Dividend Fund for irrigation improvements and providing $300,000 from the sewer reserve account to assist with paying a portion of the installation of a new irrigation system.
- Council accepted administrations recommendation to employ David Naime Associates to complete the Town Hall Assessment at a price of $31,378 including GST plus the $2,300 roof assessment.
- Councillor Campol advised that on November 22nd, the Stanley Cup will be onsite for the grand opening of the Osoyoos Indian Band office. On November 21st from 8:00 – 9:00 pm the Stanley Cup will be available for viewing at the Sonora Centre.
- Councillor Rhodes attended the Remembrance Day Ceremonies. Thanked Brian Holgate for being the master of ceremonies at the celebration.
- Councillor King attended the Economic Development committee where the budget was finalized.
- Councillor King encouraged everyone attend the Christmas parade on December 1st.
- Councillor Youngberg encouraged everyone to attend the Christmas festivities that are planned in the community.
- Mayor McKortoff attended the Osoyoos Lake Water Quality Society meeting last week.
- Mayor McKortoff will be attending the Regional District meeting where Greyhound Canada will be presenting to the RDOS directors.
- Mayor McKortoff signed the proclamation for Restorative Justice Week.
Copies of reports are available within the Council Agenda packages located on the Town’s website www.osoyoos.ca.
The public is encouraged to attend the Committee of the Whole meetings which take place in Council Chambers at 9:00 AM on the morning of the Regular Open Council meetings at 2:00 PM to learn additional in-depth information regarding upcoming business.
- About Osoyoos
- Animal Control & Licensing
- Anti-Idling Taking Action
- Boat Launch & Marina
- Boat Trailer & RV Parking
- Community Groups
- Events Calendar
- Memorial Benches
- Osprey Nest Live WebCam
- Parks & Recreation Facilities
- Recreation Programs
- Resort Municipality Initiative
- South Okanagan General Hospital (SOGH)
- Special Events
- Visiting Osoyoos
- Web Links
- Agendas, Minutes & Videos
- Annual Report
- Approaching Council
- Business Plan
- Capital and Operating Budgets
- Climate Action Recognition Program
- Committee of the Whole
- Council Members
- Financial Statements
- Mayor's Message
- Parks and Trails Master Plan
- Professional Reports and Studies
- Regular Council Meeting
- Role of Member of Council
- Ambulance & Police
- Bylaw Enforcement
- Chief Administrative Officer
- Community Services (Recreation)
- Corporate Services
- Curbside Garbage & Recycling
- Customer Service Feedback
- Emergency Preparedness
- Fire Department
- Near-Market Housing Meadowlark Place
- Operational Services (Public Works)
- Planning & Development Services
- Property Taxes
- Recreation Programs
- Rural District Water Systems 8 & 9
- RV Sani-Dump Station Information
- I Want To...
- Apply for a Building Permit
- Business Licences/Permits
- Apply for a Community Grant
- Apply for Employment Opportunity
- Book Ice Time
- Contact Us
- Find a Bylaw
- Find Dog Parks
- Find Out Landfill Hours
- Pay my Property Taxes
- Report a Street Light Out
- Submit a Request - Osoyoos Listens
- Subscribe to eNews
- View Current Water Restrictions
- View Maps
- View Osoyoos Lake Levels
- View Public Skating Schedule
- View the LIVE Osprey Nest Webcam