You are hereHome › Council Highlights for November 2, 2020
Canada's warmest welcome ®* April 16 2021
Council Highlights for November 2, 2020
2020 Osoyoos Winter Market
2021 Council and Committee Meeting Schedule
OFFICE CLOSED (2021)
Art Gallery Opening Up Close and Personal March 4
Request for Applications for South Okanagan Aquatic Centre Advisory Committee Member
Art Gallery Opening Our Lakes Connecting the Dots April 1
Council Highlights for November 2, 2020
- Council discussed the draft Council Procedure Bylaw No. 1367, 2020, as presented by Brianne Hillson, Deputy Corporate Officer. Council directed staff to remove section 8 and replace it with wording which does not restrict the number of Council members participating electronically in council/committee meetings, with the exception that the presiding member be required to attend in person (Option #3). Council also directed that the amended bylaw be brought to the Regular Meeting on November 2 for consideration of first three readings.
SPECIAL OPEN MEETING
2020 – 2023 Business Plan Update
- Council discussed the 2020 – 2023 Business Plan Update. Council directed staff to bring the Business Plan to an open Committee of the Whole meeting, where each Department Director will give a ten minute overview of their Operational Strategies and other relevant items identified in the Business Plan, as open discussion and review of the Plan promotes accountability and transparency around Council direction and strategic priorities.
REGULAR OPEN MEETING
- Allan Chabot, Chief Administrative Officer, presented a verbal report to Council on the BC Tourism Dependent Community Grants program. The Town of Osoyoos is one of thirty-three communities in the province that can apply for funding up to $1 million and the Town has identified a project which could make use of this funding opportunity. The project would include improvements at Legion Beach, including increased parking, a promenade, landscaping, improved beach accessibility, road safety improvements for the intersection of 62nd Avenue and 89th Street, and a public washroom/change room facility. Total project costs are expected to exceed the maximum grant amount and there are funds budgeted in future years for the washroom and the road improvements are noted in the 5 year Capital Plan to assist with the shortfall.
- Council Procedure Bylaw No. 1367, 2020 was read for a first, second, and third time, as amended at Committee of the Whole. If approved this bylaw would update the rules of procedure for Council meetings, including how resolutions are passed and bylaws are adopted.
- Council authorized the issuance of Development Variance Permit No. 20-05. This permit allows for the construction of an accessory building with a maximum height of 5.5 metres at the rear of the property at 9117 92nd Avenue.
- Council accepted the application for Development Variance Permit No. 20-03 and authorized staff to proceed with the notification process of Council’s intention to consider the issuance of this permit at the November 16, 2020 Regular Council Meeting. If issued this permit would allow for a reduction in the front lot line setback from 6 metres to 4.5 metres of the property at 5812 89th Street.
- Council authorized and approved the Town’s signatories to sign the lease between the Town and Mrs. D’s Playschool to utilize a portion of the Sonora Community Centre for a three year lease commencing December 1, 2020 and ending November 30, 2023. The lease will be at the rate of $550/month for 2020 with a progressive CPI increase for the following two years.
- Council authorized the notice of intention to lease the Sun Bowl Arena for the purpose of operating a Junior B Hockey team for a one year term at a rate of $500 per game to Randy Bedard, owner of the Osoyoos Coyotes.
- Council authorized the Mayor and Corporate Officer to execute the partnering agreement with Tesla Motors Canada whereby Tesla agrees to provide, operate, maintain, replace, and pay all utility costs for eleven electric vehicle charging stations in the public parking lot located at 8513 74th Avenue.
- Councillor Bennett attended the Destination Osoyoos meeting held on October 27th and noted that they will be conducting a virtual AGM this year. Councillor Bennett shared that the Osoyoos Visitor Centre is on reduced hours and that visitor stats for Osoyoos are higher than for Oliver and Penticton.
- Councillor King attended the Accessibility and Age-Friendly Committee meeting held on October 22nd via Zoom. The committee voted to move forward with the Spirit of the Game project presented to Council on October 5th. The committee is also looking at possibly fixing the stairs next to the new pump house at Lion’s Beach.
- Mayor McKortoff attended the Okanagan Basin Water Board AGM via Zoom.
- Mayor McKortoff attended a Zoom meeting with Resort Municipality mayors, where there were concerns about the continuance of funding for Resort Municipalities and about tourism in general.
- Mayor McKortoff and Councillor Rhodes will be attending the Budget and Strategic Planning meetings for the RDOS throughout November.
- Mayor McKortoff noted that the Market on Main will have an indoor winter market at the Sonora Community Centre starting November 7th at 10:00 am.
- Mayor McKortoff noted that next Wednesday is Remembrance Day and shared that Legion members will be at the market on Saturday where people will be able to make donations and get a poppy. Mayor McKortoff also congratulated Danica Maynard of Osoyoos on her poem placing third in the Intermediate category and being published in this year’s edition of the Legion’s Military Service Recognition book.
Monday, 02 November, 2020
- About Osoyoos
- Animal Control & Licensing
- Anti-Idling Taking Action
- Boat Launch & Marina
- Boat Trailer & RV Parking
- Community Groups
- Events Calendar
- Memorial Benches
- Osprey Nest Live WebCam
- Parks & Recreation Facilities
- Plan an Event
- Recreation Programs
- Resort Municipality Initiative
- South Okanagan General Hospital (SOGH)
- Visiting Osoyoos
- Web Links
- Agendas, Minutes & Videos
- Annual Report
- Approaching Council
- Business Plan
- Capital and Operating Budgets
- Climate Action Recognition Program
- Committee of the Whole
- Council Members
- Financial Statements
- Mayor's Message
- Professional Reports and Studies
- Regular Council Meeting
- Role of Member of Council
- Ambulance & Police
- Bylaw Enforcement
- Chief Administrative Officer
- Community Services (Recreation)
- Corporate Services
- Curbside Garbage & Recycling
- Customer Service Feedback
- Emergency Preparedness
- Fire Department
- Near-Market Housing Meadowlark Place
- Operational Services (Public Works)
- Planning & Development Services
- Recreation Programs
- Rural District Water Systems 8 & 9
- RV Sani-Dump Station Information
- I Want To...
- Business Licences/Permits
- Apply for a Community Grant
- Apply for Employment Opportunity
- Book Ice Time
- Contact Us
- Find a Bylaw
- Find Dog Parks
- Find Out Landfill Hours
- Know Where to Rent/Purchase Carts for Residential Waste
- Pay by Credit Card
- Report a Street Light Out
- Submit an Event
- Submit a Request - Osoyoos Listens
- Subscribe to eNews
- View Current Water Restrictions
- View Maps
- View Osoyoos Lake Levels
- View Public Skating Schedule
- View the LIVE Osprey Nest Webcam