Groups may request that a banner be hung across Main Street to advertise their event and/or organization. Banners may be deemed "non-profit" or "commercial" in nature. Please read through the following guidelines for new banners.
A Non-Profit Banner is:
- A banner which announces a community event; or
- A banner which announces a special event, date or makes a proclamation (i.e. Terry fox Run; National Heart and Stroke Foundation Awareness Week); or
- A banner which does not contain any commercial reference.
A Commercial Banner is:
- A banner which is not deemed Non-Profit and has some reference on it of a commercial nature.
Hanging of a Banner
- Banners can be hung by the Town of Osoyoos Public Works Department only, and shall be placed on the poles designated for such purpose.
- Requests for the hanging of a banner shall be made in writing and can be submitted by filling out the application below. Hard copies may be picked up at the Sonora Community Centre.
- Weight of banner material must be a minimum of sixteen ounces.
- Banner must have heavy duty grommets placed every two feet.
- Banner must have holes every three feet to allow wind to pass through.
- Banner must not be shorter than twenty-five feet.
- Banner must have writing on both sides so that it may be read from both sides.
- Banner must have a reinforced strap (minimum 4 inch loop) on both the top and bottom of each corner from both sides.
- A non-profit banner shall always have first priority;
- A commercial banner shall be allowed when no non-profit banner is in place or so scheduled.
- A non-profit banner or commercial banner which has received a 14 day maximum display in any six month period, shall receive the lowest priority when other requests are being processed.
- Subject to Section 4(a) and (c), requests shall be approved in the order they are received.
- All banners will have a 14 consecutive day time limit for display;
- Commercial banners will be taken down if a request for the hanging of a non- profit banner is received. If the commercial banner has not had its full time allotment for display, it will be re-hung after the non-profit banner comes down so as to complete the time allotment.
- Subsequent requests to hang the same banner after the banner has been displayed for the 14 day time limit can be received and processed, subject to Section 4 and there shall be no limit on the number of request per year, provided that all the parts of this policy are complied with.
- There shall be no fee for a non-profit banner;
- The fee for a commercial banner for a 14 day request shall be $300.00. No reductions shall be given for lesser time frames.
- No additional fees shall be payable for the taking down and re-hanging of a commercial banner..
Commercial Banner Content
- Commercial Banners shall not have more that 15% overall commercial content. Commercial content refers to the name of the business or enterprise and any logo or message that refers to a business or enterprise.
- Commercial Banners shall have a minimum of 85 % overall community content. Community content is a message which refers to matters other than that of a commercial nature, which can be viewed as being for the general good of the community.
- The percentage measurements shall be based on the overall area of the banner, on both sides.
- Final authority for any decision regarding banners which may not be addressed in this policy, rests with the Administrator of the Town of Osoyoos.